I know I am not the only one.
Maybe you have been a Christian for a few months or maybe you have been a Christian your whole life. You know the word of God inside out. Maybe you work on your fruits and character daily. You have alone time with Christ. You are strong in the faith.
But then it happens.
Someone cuts in front of you after you have been standing in line for 20 minutes. Someone you thought you could trust blatantly lies straight to your face. You could be struggling with temptation. Maybe a friend stabbed you in the back. Or maybe you are going through a dark time in your life. Tragedy struck and you want to blame God. All of a sudden you see red. Anger. Hurt. Rejection. Bitterness. Jealousy. So many emotions. It can leave one feeling less like a Christian and more like a Tasmanian devil wanting to rip to shred anything that gets in your way. When you don’t feel much like a Christian I want you to remember something.
Christianity is not a feeling.
It is a relationship with Christ. Just like any other relationship, it will not be perfect. You will stumble. You will feel stuck or as though you aren’t good enough. You may even want to give up at times. But you need to continue pushing through.
When you don’t feel like a Christian remember what God says about you.
I am created new in Christ.
- So then, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; what is old has passed away–look, what is new has come (2 Corinthians 5:17)
I am not a slave to sin but a child of God and a heir in Christ.
So you are no longer a slave but a son, and if you are a son, then you are also an heir through God Galatians 4:7
God’s peace is available to me.
- And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:7)
God forgives and redeems me by his grace.
- In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace (Ephesians 1:7)
God accepts me.
- Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. (Romans 15:7)
I am created in God’s image.
So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. (Genesis 1:27)
I am part of the body of Christ along with my brothers and sisters in Christ.
- Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.
God will renew my strength.
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be fain. (Isaiah 40:31)
God is with me during trials.
- When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.(Isaiah 43:2)
As a Christian I have love, self-discipline and strength.
- For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.(2 Timothy 1:7)
The next time you are not feeling so Christian-like remember that Christianity is not a feeling. It is a relationship with Christ. Amidst that relationship there are so many truths about ourselves that we must hold onto. Even if we don’t feel like they are true. Emotions and feelings do not make facts any less true. I hope you were encouraged today. If you need more encouragement and want to know more about what God says about you it can be found in any bible!